Shaggy giants from an arboreal world, the tall and commanding Wookiee species is an impressive sight to even the most jaded spacer. Despite their fearsome and savage countenance, Wookiees are intelligent, sophisticated, loyal and trusting. Loyalty and bravery are near-sacred tenets in Wookiee society. When peaceful, Wookiees are tender and gentle. Their tempers, however, are short; when angered, Wookiees can fly into a berserker rage and will not stop until the object of their distemper is sufficiently destroyed. Star Wars Databank
- 7’ Minimum Height Preferred
- Complete hair suit using natural or synthetic fibers, either tied or using National Fibre Technology Hair. Faux fur or fun fur is not acceptable, as it is not long enough. No yarn or shag carpet Wookiees. The Rubies Supreme Edition Chewbacca suits are NOT acceptable even with modification.
- Hair must be natural colors such as brown, blond, auburn, black, grey, or all white (albino). Patterns must be symmetrical on right and left sides of the body.
- Hair must average at least 6″/15 cm or longer, but 8-10 inch / 20-26 cm long hair is preferred.
- Complete coverage is required; no bald spots or exposed skin/undersuit.
- Arm length must be proportionate to that of the overall body look. (Arms that look disproportionally short like the arms of Tyrannosaurus Rex are not accepted).
- A muscle suit may be worn beneath the fur to create definition as seen in the Star Wars films, so long as it maintains the correct proportions and not be overly muscular (exaggerated muscle suits like the Incredible Hulk are not accepted).
- Mask hair must match the suit.
- The mask must completely cover the head and neck, without completely obscuring the shape of the shoulders.
- The eyes, a smooth black nose, and a large jaw/muzzle must all be clearly visible.
- A slight mustache like feature must be present as well. The mouth must have a slight frown when closed.
- The mask hair must be smooth and well groomed, not bushy, so that the mask’s shape and structure are clear.
- Static masks must not be frozen in an opened position. All static mouths must be fully closed.
- Although a functioning jaw and/or lip snarl is not required, the skin and lips of any mechanical masks must appear as one piece, rather than a separated jaw and face. This refers only to the mask’s outward appearance, not the underskull. Costumers should be aware that mechanical jaws and lips are complex projects requiring purpose-built components using special materials. They cannot simply be added to an existing latex rubber mask. Consult the costuming resources and fellow Wookiee costumers for advice on this project.
- Eye makeup (shades of black or brown) must be worn around the eyes and completely cover any exposed skin.
- The Hasbro Electronic Chewbacca mask is not acceptable, even modified.
- Dark brown, gray, or black gloves must be worn.
- There must be enough overlap between the gloves and the wrists of the hair suit that no skin is exposed.
- Gloves may be made of leather, vinyl, cloth, or rubber.
- Claws/nails are encouraged, but not required.
- Feet must be completely covered with hair except for the bottom and the toes.
- Feet are either brown or black with black toenails
- Feet are symmetrical and have 5 toes with visible claws/toenails
- Dark brown leather or faux leather bandolier, approximately 3 inches wide with a narrow center strap holding two different sizes of ammo box in the style of the ROTS Wookiee Warriors
- The boxes must have edge detailing.
- Bandolier may have leather pouches
- Bowcaster has a reddish body and gold accents
- Gold bow with a ball on each end
- Greeblies matching reference photos
- Wookiees may wear helmets, arm shields, shoulder pauldrons, etc in the style of the ROTS Wookiee Warriors
- Wookiees are not seen to be wearing clothes in the sense of other humanoid Star Wars characters, such as, shirts, pants, robes, tabards, shoes, or any other article of clothing are unacceptable for approval.
Updated: April 3, 2023
For Face Characters: Tattoos and body piercings – No tattoos or body piercings may be visible unless it is a tattoo/piercing the character has. They must be covered with makeup or by the costume.
PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists. If you have a question about fabrics, colors, and parts choices for your build please contact the LCJs for your category about parts/materials you are considering before you start your build.