The Naboo Royal Handmaidens are a group of young women handpicked to aid the Queen of Naboo. On the surface, it appears as if the handmaidens only assist with the Queen’s gowns, hairstyles, and makeup. However, they are all trained in self-defense and remain vigilant against any threats to their sovereign. In fact, during times of turmoil, a handmaiden actually poses as the Queen. The Naboo Royal Handmaidens have been selected for their various talents as well as for their resemblance to the Queen, which is useful if a decoy is required. After being invited to join the Queen’s entourage, each handmaiden was trained in self defense and marksmanship. They often carry small, concealable blasters. Star Wars Databank
- Wine/burgundy calf length velvet or velvet-like coat with a high, seamless collar. Jacket closes in the center front with no visible fastenings. No panne/crushed velvet.
- Center front of jacket is pulled back at the waist and pinned to expose the legs.
- The coat has wrist-length half-circle sleeves that are not sewn together below the arm.
- Reddish-pink shiny silk or satin lining.
- Gold jacquard ribbon is attached up the coat side seams, around the shoulders and arm hole of the coat, and back down the side seams. From the waist down, there are two widths of ribbon next to each other.
- Ribbon also runs horizontal across the coat lining at knee-height inside the jacket. Jacquard ribbon has a vine, floral, or swirl pattern and is roughly 2.5-4 cm / 1”-1.5” wide.
- Belt pulls through the coat at openings hidden beneath the trim at the side seams.
- Coat has four wide box-pleats across the lower back, below the waist seam.
- Undershirt in medium reddish pink to wine color. Shirt color is lighter than the color of the velvet. Shirt is made of a matte fabric with wrist-length fitted sleeves.
- Shirt is decorated small pleats/ribbing in groups of three on the sleeves and chest.
- The top three pleats of the shirt are visible at the neckline of the jacket.
- Fitted wine/burgundy velvet or velvet-like pants of the same or matching fabric as the coat with no visible closure. No panne/crushed velvet.
- Pants have wide waistband so that neither shirt nor skin is visible at the waist.
- Pants have gold trim that matches the coat down outside seams.
- Matte black leather or leather-like knee-high riding style boots with no visible laces, straps, buckles, or outside zippers.
- Boots are flat or have a low heel (up to 1.5″ or 4 cm). Optional Details
- Boots may have inside zippers.
- Black leather or leather-like belt with moderate satin sheen.
- Belt is under the coat in the front and outside the coat in back. It pulls through the coat at openings hidden beneath the trim at the side seams.
- Belt has a rectangular silver belt buckle in the center front with a Naboo symbol detail in gold.
- Large twice folded ponytail at back of head. Hair wraps around the center of the folded ponytail.
- No bangs.
- Naturally-occurring hair colors only.
- If a wig or hair extensions are used, they must be high quality and look like hair.
- Silver Naboo blaster with a brown wood-colored handle.
- Blaster may have a short barrel or a long barrel.
- Small black fitted holster on the right-hand side of the belt.
- Holster may be made of fitted plastic, rubber, leather, or vinyl.
- Holster may be attached to the belt with a black covertex clip or a simple loop.
Reference Photo Gallery
Member Build Threads
Padawan’s Guide Gallery
Updated: April 5, 2023
For Face Characters: Tattoos and body piercings – No tattoos or body piercings may be visible unless it is a tattoo/piercing the character has. They must be covered with makeup or by the costume.
PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists. If you have a question about fabrics, colors, and parts choices for your build please contact the LCJs for your category about parts/materials you are considering before you start your build.