A clumsy, well-meaning Gungan outcast on Naboo, Jar Jar Binks struggled to prove his worth throughout his life. Putting his awkward past behind him, Jar Jar left the swamps of Naboo to enter the even murkier waters of Coruscant politics, becoming a representative for his people in the galactic capital. There, his best intentions and eagerness to serve were exploited by scheming Senators and others in positions of power. Star Wars Databank
- Ears reach mid-back
- Outside of ears gradients down from maroon/pinkish to orange/ivory
- Inside of ears is ivory
- Face also gradients down from maroon/pinkish to orange/ivory
- There is an ivory stripe that goes down the center of his face between the eyes
- Eyestalks 3-4in (7.5-10 cm) tall
- Eyelids are the maroon/pinkish color
- Eyes are yellow/orange
- Black, vertical iris
- Top, outside of eyestalks has two dark brown bumps/ridges
- Light brown freckles across bridge of nose
- No seams may be visible
- Neck is ivory in the front, gradients to maroon/pinkish in the back
- Mouth is ivory
- Teeth are yellow and appear to be human-like
- Face is not a completely straight line down. Slopes more between the nose and the mouth
- Top of the ears is 5 horizontal tiers, about 2in (5 cm) per tier.
- After the horizontal tiers, the rest of the ears go down to mid-back
- Remainder of ear section is in 4 vertical sections
- Innermost ear area starts in the mid-upper back and cascades in pointy fins down to mid-back – 4 pointy fins
- Outermost ear area starts at the middle of the inner-ear section area and is one line down – no additional pointy fins
- Ears are textured with horizontal lines
- Costumer’s own head must not be visible
- Rubie’s mask is not acceptable
- Two Gungan hands – four fingers on each hand. Three regular fingers and a thumb
- Top of the hand is mottled maroon/pinkish and orange
- The palm is ivory
- Fingernails are dark brown
- Gungan feet, with three large toes
- Top of the feet are mottled orange/maroon
- Bottom of the feet are ivory
- Toenails are dark brown
- Long gown that go down to feet and wrists. The gown has a high neckline that sits closely to the throat.
- The color is a dark brick-red/maroon.
- The fabric is heavy weight and textured.
- The sleeves are loose fitted and have a fold in the fabric at elbow level. The edge of the fold has a brown line and the lower part of the sleeves (over forearm) have even spaced brown lines running horizontally around the sleeves. The sleeves curve in towards the wrists.
- The fabric has a ribbed texture in a diamond pattern.
- There are five brown lines in total on each sleeve.
- Floor length, sleeveless robe in a patterned multi-color fabric. No flowery patterns.
- Fabric is light weight and flowing.
- Fabric colors are brown, yellow-orange, and light blue. Other colors are permitted as long as brown and yellow-orange are main colors.
- A matching stole reaching down to thighs is worn around the neck. Pattern runs diagonal.
- Pattern consists of various geometric shapes in long rows.
- The rows run diagonal on the back to the sides and more vertical on the front.
- A rectangular shoulder pad that is connected behind the neck.
- Shoulder piece is brown with thin metallic, golden stripes.
- There is a fringe of beaded strands hanging from the pad along the edge. The strands hang down to chest level.
- Beads are brown, yellow-orange, and light blue in color.
- There are 7-8 golden lines across the each shoulder pad.
- Necklace with five Naboo symbols hanging vertically down the chest. Each symbol is unique.
- Symbols are golden/brass colored.
- Cord is dark.
AOTC – SENATE ADDRESS
- From main configuration:
- Gungan head, hands, and feet
- Plus what is listed below.
- A pointed tabard that ends at knees. Tabard has a V-neck and sits closely to the throat.
- Tabard is off-white and has a pattern in dark pink-red and dark brown or maroon.
- Floor length robe with short capelet and half-length sleeves.
- The robe is a blood red color with white trim along the edges. Trim on capelet is wider than trim at cuffs.
- Fabric is medium to heavy weight velvet or similar.
- Robe has a wide, multi-color collar, in gold, green, and red colors. The collar extends to the floor.
- The sleeves are cut diagonally so they are longer under the arm than above. They have a white patch on the outside of the arm with a large, dark pink-red dot in the lower, diamond-shaped part of the patch.
ROTS – PADMÉ’S FUNERAL
- From main configuration:
- Gungan head, hands, and feet.
- Plus what is listed below.
- Long, overlapping layers of jacquard (brocade/damask) fabric petals starting at the neck and reaching down to lower chest/navel level.
- Petals are dark red and green. Each petal has a wide border in a dark color that matches the rest of the costume.
- First layer is red, then green, and so on.
Updated: April 7, 2023
For Face Characters: Tattoos and body piercings – No tattoos or body piercings may be visible unless it is a tattoo/piercing the character has. They must be covered with makeup or by the costume.
PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists. If you have a question about fabrics, colors, and parts choices for your build please contact the LCJs for your category about parts/materials you are considering before you start your build.