Princess Leia Organa was one of the greatest leaders of the Rebel Alliance, fearless on the battlefield and dedicated to ending the Empire’s tyranny. Daughter of Padmé Amidala and Anakin Skywalker, sister of Luke Skywalker, and with a soft spot for scoundrels, Leia ranked among the galaxy’s great heroes. But life under the New Republic proved difficult for her. Sidelined by a new generation of political leaders, she struck out on her own to oppose the First Order as founder of the Resistance. These setbacks in her political career were accompanied by more personal losses, which she endured with her seemingly inexhaustible will. Star Wars Databank
- Dress with short sleeves and a multi-panel, multi-length skirt in natural pig hide. Other suede materials are acceptable.
- Bodice is fitted and has princess seams and a center seam. Front and back mirrors each other.
- Princess seams are decorated with thin cords in an X pattern. The cords must match the dress.
- Front of the bodice has a low V neck with a thicker hide cord at the bottom. The V neck has three holes to thread the cord through on each side of the bottom of the V and they are tied between the top set. No grommets.
- Cord for the V neck is approximately 2/5” / 1 cm wide.
- Sleeves go down to the biceps and stop approximately 2” / 5 cm above the elbow. They are not tightly fitted around the arm.
- Top of the armscye is decorated with the same X pattern as the princess seams. The cords go from princess seam in front to princess seam in back.
- Skirts consist of two layers. Shortest length is just above knee and longest is mid shin. It has three long points.
- Under layer goes all the way around and starts and stop over the right leg. It has a small overlap between the two sides, but splits open. It starts just over right knee, goes diagonally down to the left, then curves up to knee height at the left side. It then curves around the back and down on the right side to end in one of the low points.
- Over layer only covers the left side and front and back mirrors each other, starting and ending in a low point. The hide is folded back at start and stop to expose the lighter backside of it. It curves upwards on the left side to just above knee height and then down again towards the back.
- Center seams on bodice are optional.
- Cords over the princess seams, shoulders, and V neck are made from the same hide as the dress.
- Reverse side of skirt may also be the same tone as the front, but not darker.
- Dress has a belt/sash in the same material as the dress tied around the seam separating the bodice from the skirt.
- Belt tails hang down to the knees and the ends are cut diagonally.
- Belt is approximately 3” / 7-8 cm wide and folded double.
- Belt is worn just above the hips.
- There is top stitching along the ‘open’ side of the folded belt.
- Long, off-white/natural white sleeves are worn under the dress. They can be attached at the armscye of the dress or be a separate shirt.
- Sleeves are not tightly fitted.
- Sleeves have two ridges approximately 2/5” / 1 cm high; one are on top of the sleeve, the other at the side. It lies on the elbow point when the arm is bend.
- Sleeves are gathered with grey, flat suede cord at the wrists.
- A small hole is at the bottom of each ridge to feed the cord through and tighten it.
- Cord hangs from the wrist with approximately 4” / 10 cm for each end.
- Grey cord is approximately 1” / 2-3 cm from the end of the sleeve.
- The sleeves have a slim hem.
- Flat, light brown/tan leather (or similar) sandals that closely match the dress.
- Sandals have an X pattern over the foot. 1 to 3 X’s are permitted.
- Straps are approximately ½” / 1.5-2 cm wide.
- 2 X’s over the foot are preferred.
- Heel cap.
- Long wavy hair with braid waves, pulled back off the face. Hair must come down to waist, preferably hips.
- Two braids start on top of the head and cross each other to the other side. Thin light brown/tan suede/leather cords crosses around the braids.
- Braids go down to chest height.
- Naturally-occurring hair color only (Brown hair preferred); no bangs.
- A single long braid is also permitted instead of using two braids.
- The braid(s) can be attached to a neutral color hairband.
- Ends of the cords hang down to waist or hips.
- Curly hair permitted.
Note: If a wig or extensions are used they must be of a high quality and appear like real hair.
- Matte red-brown lipstick
- Black solid (non-liquid) eyeliner and mascara
- Brown eyeshadow
- Rose rouge
- Brown contact lenses
- If brows are drawn in the color must be brown
Note: Makeup used must enhance a natural look.
Reference Photo Gallery
Member Build Threads
SWFFAQ Leia Ewok Village gown
Updated: April 8, 2023
For Face Characters: Tattoos and body piercings – No tattoos or body piercings may be visible unless it is a tattoo/piercing the character has. They must be covered with makeup or by the costume.
PLEASE NOTE: The costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements. The judges will be looking for quality of workmanship, accurate execution and use of materials in addition to these general standards check lists. If you have a question about fabrics, colors, and parts choices for your build please contact the LCJs for your category about parts/materials you are considering before you start your build.